My pick: Top 5 musicals of the 2016-2017 Broadway Season
The 2016-2017 season saw a wide array of shows open on Broadway, and also saw several Broadway staples continue their runs on the Great White Way. Here, in no particular order, are my Top 10 shows of the season.
1. Dear Evan Hansen- A musical about a letter that was never meant to be seen, and a lie that was never meant to be told, Dear Evan Hansen captured the hearts of people across the world. An anxious teen, played by Ben Platt of Pitch Perfect and The Book of Mormon. He relates the anxiety and deep depression of the title character with poise, grace, and a showcase of incredible talent.
2. Come From Away- An inspiring story about what happened when 38 planes landed in Gander, Newfoundland following the events of 9/11 and the people who opened their hearts to nearly 7,000 passengers of those planes.
3. War Paint- Depicting the rivalry of Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden, played by Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole respectively, War Paint demonstrated the struggle of being a woman trying to break into the industry of big business with their cosmetic companies. While in real life the women never met, the climax of the show has them meeting face to face in a number titled exactly that. The women are powerhouses in their returns to the Broadway stage.
4. Bandstand- A rousing musical starring Laura Osnes and Corey Cott, about what happened when the boys came home from World War II, and a group of musicians on a mission to create a band of their own.
5. Falsettos- The revival that starred Christian Borle and Stephanie J. Block, as well as Andrew Rannels and Betsy Wolfe, following Borle's character as a tries to bring his large family and group of friends together.