A new season on Broadway has begun, with Marvin's Room and 1984 being the first shows to open. So what shows may end up being the best of the season? Here are my predictions.
1. The Band's Visit - Not only did this show do very well at the most recent Drama Desk Awards, but the show opened at Atlantic Theatre Company last year to many good reviews, and it's looking like it will be a hit on Broadway as well.
2. Once on this Island - The Ahrens and Flaherty musical is getting it's first revival since it's original production back in the 90s but will likely be a hit as well. Though casting has not yet been announced, the show is popular already and will likely do very well upon opening.
3. My Fair Lady - The revival of this classic production will be presented by Lincoln Center Theater and will have a stellar team behind it, likely making it another hit of the season.
4. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two - The London production became a smash hit upon opening last July and the script book had people all over the world waiting until midnight on July 31st to be among the first people to get their hands on the book. Many said that the play was much better than the book, and the opening in New York, is very anticipated and the show is likely to move among the ranks of Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen in how fast the tickets will sell out.
5. Carousel - The revival of the classic Rogers and Hammerstein show will open in the spring with Jessie Mueller and Joshua Henry, both two of Broadway's best.
These shows are just the beginning of what will be opening in the coming months, and there are still more shows waiting for dates to be set.