Shows That Deserve Revivals On Broadway
With so many revivals of shows happening, and several revivals on Broadway right now, here are my picks for shows that should be brought back to Broadway.
1. Funny Girl - this musical made a star out of Barbra Streisand as the lead character Fanny Brice and the song "Don't Rain on My Parade" has been heard my millions of people and sung over and over after it's appearance on Glee sung by Lea Michele. The show ran for three years from March 1964 until July 1967 with over 1,000 performances. With only a one performance revival done in 2002, it's high time it was brought back to Broadway for a nice long run. Maybe Lea Michele could play the lead?
2. High Society - based on the film musical The Philadelphia Story this musical follows Tracy Lord as she prepares for her second wedding, but must deal with her ex-husband and two reporters. While the production ran only for a few months in 1998, the movie with Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra is a classic, and the story deserves to be back on the Great White Way.
3. Brigadoon - this show is about two men who stumble upon a mysterious village in Scotland. Like High Society, it had a short run on Broadway but the movie adaptation has become a classic film and the show deserves a full fledged revival, not just a few days, though it will be getting some love with a few performances at New York City Center later this year.
4. West Side Story - probably one of the best Broadway shows, it had a recent revival in 2009. However the production is classic and many people know it whether they've seen it live or not.
5. Into the Woods - while this show did have a recent revival in 2002, the fanbase has grown immensely since the movie version with Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp was released in 2014, also starring Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt, and James Corden. While it's growing popularity, the show certainly deserves a revival.